Sunday 18 September 2011

Done!!!

Had a pretty good nights sleep and woke up pretty nervous.  Brad made me breakfast (as he always does! He is so amazing!). Played with the kids, tried to relax, then loaded up the bike and I was off.

Arrived at the event just in time to line up to get my race number, and get my stuff together. Was met by lovely friends who were super encouraging! Brought my nerves right down to not too shaky levels.

I lined up for the swim, and in my lane was a 17 year old swim champion, and another girl in her 20's.  Both really nice, both really fit! I was first. Had no choice in the matter. All the others were blokes starting in my wave. All superhero types. I really thought they had made a mistake and put me in the wrong group! The 17 year old swim champion passed me to my relief! Was really nice to have someone to try and catch up with. She was amazing. The swim went really well, only got wacked round the head once by a bloke in the next lane. Got out of the pool, ran across the road to transition 1.

I was relieved to have layed out my stuff well, and in order.  My brain was fried. Off on the bike.  I really pushed the bike part.  Passed a few, was passed by many! But pretty pleased with my bike performance.

As I got off the bike, and put my shoes on, I had the most amazing cramp in my leg! Lots of people cheering me on in transition and the start of the run, but all I could think was OUCH!!! I kept running, albeit slightly limping and slower than I would have liked, but loosened up by the second lap of the run.  The run part was most definitely lifted by Saffia, Matt, Clare and the Run for the Slum team cheering and encouraging, but most of all by young T! Thank you T and B, you were the most encouraging little people! Cramp disappeared, and I managed to sprint to the finish line, mostly because my lovely friend Jenny was shouting at me to beat the guy to my side! Thanks Jenny! It really worked!

As I got to the end, I was just so elated to have done it! And in a respectable time too!

1hr25mins. I got personal bests in all 3 parts of the race! Which was a big surprise as I certainly didnt feel all that fast at the time. It was not fast compared to everyone else, but really fast for me.

400m swim: 8:31
T1: 2.16
20k Bike: 46.58
5k Run: 27.55

Well done to the rest of the Run for the Slum team, Matt, Nicki, Nicky, Nora, Natasha, Julia. We did it! And thank you to the lovely Thomas Family, Saffia and family, Clare, and the rest of the Run for the Slum support crew! Your encouragement was so helpful!

Now what?

3 comments:

  1. WTG Esther!!! CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Esther! You did absolutely brilliantly today, I was so impressed and proud to be there cheering you on.

    Slideshow of photos is on the ARBAN website at http://www.arban.org.uk/2011/tockington-triathlon-2011/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant well done Esther,

    Great blog great description of start of bike ride, have ridden through tockington 100s of times but still needed a marshall to tell me the way!

    ReplyDelete